So I decided to inform my mum about my trip to the UK over the phone after I booked my flight ticket. (Just a little bit of background info here. My parents give me so much freedom that sometimes I actually yearn to be controlled).
For the first time she didn't yell at me for booking myself into yet another holiday. Which is weird as she would always nag at me for not being very attached to the family and am always "on the run" as she claimed. That being said, I have been away from home since I was 13 years old, there has to be some sort of detachment from everything. At least I am still in many ways closely bonded with my parents and my siblings, with my mum being the closest among all.

"Ma, I am going to England at the end of June" I said over the phone, sounded slightly calm as I didn't wanna cause a scene.
"Don't you have uni?" She asked whcih was expected as she never really pays much attention to my academic calender.
"It's holiday mum! 3 weeks off and I will be there for the whole 3 weeks!" I then explained.
"what are you going there for? Why don't you come home instead?" She didn't sound unhappy at all, just asking for the sake of asking "the list of questions" that people routinely ask.
"I need a break. and my friends are graduating so it's a good time to visit before they leave the country." I then started defending myself.
"who are you gonna stay with?" She then asked.
"Just a friend, or friends. It depends." I gave a very vague response, trying not to go too much in details.
"Alright. You've already booked the tic anyway! Just be careful when you are there." She knows me too well.
Before I hung up, she added something more that really made me jaw-drop.
"whatever it is, be safe and play it cool alright?"
"what do you mean?" I then asked, totally dumbfounded.
"Make the most out of your trip but don't forget to put your guard up. Play it cool and don't get hurt!" She said, unexpectedly capable of reading me.

It really got me thinking. Is there anything else that she doesn't know? I didn't even spill a word but she seems to know everything as if she has installed something in my brain to spy on me.
She might not have fully accepted me for being who I am but she definitely loves me more than I can imagine. She is always there for me, whenever and wherever, so that I wouldn't stray too far from the right track.
I am lucky. I am blessed. And I am absolutely appreciative of that.
For the first time she didn't yell at me for booking myself into yet another holiday. Which is weird as she would always nag at me for not being very attached to the family and am always "on the run" as she claimed. That being said, I have been away from home since I was 13 years old, there has to be some sort of detachment from everything. At least I am still in many ways closely bonded with my parents and my siblings, with my mum being the closest among all.

"Ma, I am going to England at the end of June" I said over the phone, sounded slightly calm as I didn't wanna cause a scene.
"Don't you have uni?" She asked whcih was expected as she never really pays much attention to my academic calender.
"It's holiday mum! 3 weeks off and I will be there for the whole 3 weeks!" I then explained.
"what are you going there for? Why don't you come home instead?" She didn't sound unhappy at all, just asking for the sake of asking "the list of questions" that people routinely ask.
"I need a break. and my friends are graduating so it's a good time to visit before they leave the country." I then started defending myself.
"who are you gonna stay with?" She then asked.
"Just a friend, or friends. It depends." I gave a very vague response, trying not to go too much in details.
"Alright. You've already booked the tic anyway! Just be careful when you are there." She knows me too well.
Before I hung up, she added something more that really made me jaw-drop.
"whatever it is, be safe and play it cool alright?"
"what do you mean?" I then asked, totally dumbfounded.
"Make the most out of your trip but don't forget to put your guard up. Play it cool and don't get hurt!" She said, unexpectedly capable of reading me.

It really got me thinking. Is there anything else that she doesn't know? I didn't even spill a word but she seems to know everything as if she has installed something in my brain to spy on me.
She might not have fully accepted me for being who I am but she definitely loves me more than I can imagine. She is always there for me, whenever and wherever, so that I wouldn't stray too far from the right track.
I am lucky. I am blessed. And I am absolutely appreciative of that.

5 comments:
your mom is definitely very intelligent, hahaha
Your mum is cool.
Your mum had her adventurous youth too once before mah :)
You're lucky! Be a good boy yah :)
wa! u really rich wo..
Post a Comment